1. It's GOOD for you! No unnecessary added sugar and no heavy dairy products (I'm not knocking yogurt and milk based smoothies, I typically tend to stay away from too much dairy in general for health reasons and vocal reasons).
2. It's filling. It's a great grab-and-go snack and it satisfies my appetite in the morning or during the day. It's great for anyone trying to lose weight or maintain a healthy weight.
3. It's GREAT for your skin and complexion! After drinking one of these everyday for about 2 weeks, I started to notice a difference in my skin- like it was glowing!
4. It's cheap to make! All of the ingredients needed will last a week or two in your home or refrigerator! Also, most of the veggies and fruit needed for the smoothie you can enjoy on their own too with meals or a snack!
Here is the Recipe:
*Makes enough for 2-3 days worth of smoothie. (1 glass per day- about 12oz.)
- About 150 calories per serving.
* Tip: I don't add ice to my smoothies so I like to make them the night before and enjoy the next day so that they've had hours to chill in the fridge.
What you'll Need:
- Bag of Fresh Spinach (find this in the produce aisle near the salad.)
- Celery (2-3 stalks)
- Bag of green Granny Smith apples (2-3 for one pitcher of smoothie)
- Bananas (need 1 for one batch)
- Lemon Juice (1-2 tbsp)
- 2 cups of Water
- Fill a blender pitcher with 2 cups of water.
- Add as much spinach as you like. I use a VERY large handful of baby spinach from a bag. Don't let the spinach scare you, it really doesn't have much of a taste. Besides you're going to add some yummy fruit that will change the flavor of your smoothie. Blend until you basically have green water.
- Next, cut up 2-3 stalks of celery and add. Blend.
- Cut up 2-3 small granny smith apples. I determine how many based on the size of my apples. If they're all pretty small, I'll use three. If there happens to be a larger one in the bag, I'll use that one and a small one. You decide, you can't mess this up! Add the apple slices and blend.
- Add 1 whole, peeled banana. Blend.
-Add a tablespoon or two of lemon juice. Fresh squeezed if possible but juice from the bottle is fine too. I add this to taste. Sometimes I feel the smoothie needs more so I'll add more. Blend.
You should have a full pitcher of what we call "Green Slime" in our house. Feel free to add any berries you have too. Blueberries, Strawberries, frozen mixed berries- all will be good! I remove the blender top and cover the blender with plastic wrap and a rubberband around the plastic wrap to give it a good seal.
** After the smoothie has been sitting in the fridge, sometimes the juices tend to "separate". Just giving it a good stir with a spoon or putting the top on and blending it for a second will stir all of these juices back up and you can enjoy!